Sunday 30 November 2014

Marina Rivas Collaboration with yours truly


This is what she had to share

Her child memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWlFbWEvfwo&feature=youtu.be

I have a lot of childhood memories some which I  have pictures for while other are just in my head.
I am bought up in a mixed decent which consist of Predominant Spanish, Negro, little in Indian and Chinese. My family is very large but we had a lot of family gatherings. I am from an artistic and musical family where we love art, music and food. I remember every year was a family gathering in La Pastora (La divina Pastora) church and then we would gather together to enjoy lunch which we all made and would get to know more of the families. My uncle was a Bishop at that time so he would say the mass. I remember asking questions to family members like how you make this and what advice you would give someone to cook. I remembered my cousins and I would go by the river to bathe and socialized. It was fun an adventure. I remembered the older heads would tell me that my grandparents Sabina Rivas and Placido Rivas were married in the that church my father, aunts, uncles older cousins were baptized in that church. Today the images of the church seen are run down but anytime I go with my parents will always remember the fun time we had there.
I remember my mom use to tell me that art was something I had loved since childhood; my mom took a picture of me and the art that I made. That was around 4 or 5 years. Apart from this I remembered my first art started around seven years when started watching and drawing. My grandfather (James Caesar) who is on my mother’s side, use to motivate me to continue drawing and never give up on that. Well I listen to him because now I have my AAS degree in graphic design and am continuing to do my BA.
After sever came eight and that’s when  my culinary skill kicked in, as I remember my first cooking, my mom was busy doing other chores and she had a bowl of raw meat waiting to cook.  I found she was taking too long so I reached for the chopper and I said, “Chicken I am going to cook you today.” Yes, my grandfather argued but he enjoyed the food. From that day on my other family members showed me tips, and recipes to help me master my culinary skills which I have today. This is one of my child hood memories I will always remember.

On occasions that I spent time with my grandfather on my mother side he would always play his guitar anytime and sing in Spanish for me. Those are memories I will always remembered. My siblings and I were blessed to have a grandpa alive so we can hear stories because my grandfather on my father side died at the age of 63 years. He never got to know us but I know he is looking down at us smiling. Even my mom father would bring home basket full of Christmas food and drinks for us.

Christmas was fun memories. Pastelles making, black cake, sorrel, ginger beer harm, turkey and the list goes on. My grandmother on my father side Sabina Rivas would show me her secrets recipes, give me tips and show me what to do. Even though she was blind, her senses were there. She has inspired me to continue in the things I love. The spirit of Christmas use to bring joy in my heart where there were gifts, food and most of all family.

No comments:

Post a Comment