Wednesday 26 November 2014

My Collaboration with Marina Rivas

Collaboration Blog with Marina Rivas
http://marisolcooking.weebly.com/

In the house which I grew up in, I was technically the youngest so when it came to the kitchen I wasn't allowed in to it. Basically I got away from being in the kitchen, but as I grew older and one of my cousins came to live with us well then that changed a bit. We all loved our belly growing up and seeing that our house always had excess living and visiting she made it her duty to always have snacks. Yep lots of it. So my cousin and I first task of duty since we loved to eat was washing at least the dishes we dirtied. Gradually it increased as our rudeness towards my older sister came into play. So as punishment we would have to wash all the dishes after meals and worse yet if we dropped our plates last in the sink. Well it would have been our duty after school for the week. Our head of household did not like to see dirty things in the sink so it had nothing like allowing it to accumulate and wash later. No no! That was not tolerated at all.

Being a female I had to learn how to operate in the kitchen though my task for years was to wash wares and do the clean up part. Any time I would attempt to help all I would hear is don’t bother me and move yuh backside. Oh one thing I was allowed to do but it was only because there hand was tried, was to mix the cake batter especially if she was making plenty. Interestingly enough I got the same treatment when I visited my grandmother in Rio Claro for the holidays. Poor me!  So there I was the clean up girl as well. Then mama had the audacity to make the statement that I don’t know how to do anything this was a result of me not knowing how to use a potato peeler to peel the potatoes. In my defense other than the fact that I wasn’t allowed to ever do anything and it was the first time I ever saw a potato peeler, use one and actually peeled potatoes. How am I to blame?

After that holiday after arriving back home well you know now they always had me in the kitchen now though I still wasn’t allowed to use sharp objects. The thing I wanted to do I wasn’t allowed to do ie. Cut up the frozen chicken. But the allowed me to season it. It was only till about mid teens I was thought to do or should I say allowed to do certain thing. I had my older sister who did everything in regards to the kitchen as it was only when she started working then the baton was passed on to me. I thing I hated then and still hate and can’t get me to do it is need flour. The amount of buff, quarrel, insults I got, wow. I never like the feeling. Other than that I am pretty okay when it comes to the kitchen despite my trials and hardship.

I must say I was always surrounded by food on both sides of my family as there were a lot chefs not on the large magnitude but the always doing something on the side.  Also there was always some cook book lying around either house. Whether it be wedding cake books, goody books or some recipe scribble somewhere , just name it, it was there.  My love of high quality richly flavoured food and fine taste bud I must say came from my aunts. I made me believe it got to run in our jeans but apparently not all, sorry little sis you didn’t get that good hand. LOL! Well that about that! As I would normally say


What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment