Saturday 25 October 2014

Crafts & Toys

Hi hi,

It’s me again your happy childhood memories blogger, as we venture back into this gracious second living room, this time it as my playroom. This was the only room that I was allowed to get dirty, well besides the wall otherwise. I call it my playroom due to the fact that most of the toys were mines. The only thing that I could have remembered that really belonged to my big sis was her Lego set which I can recall she rarely built. Probably if she ever really built anything of significance is when she first got it though she was good at it. I never could have built anything like her, so I suck to my own stuff. I was good with the blocks, yea the small wooden blocks with the symbols signs numbers and letters on them which could never have stayed in one place.

Approximately around the age of five I introduce to my first jigsaw puzzle, it was a 24 piece (approximately 40”x36”) which came in a lookalike lunch box with a red plastic handle. I loved that puzzle as I built it repeated and used it as a mat while I played with my other toys. I never did get the picture on the puzzle. There was a female skunk sweeping out a shack, while a pig was washing the window, there was a rabbit attempt to patch a hole in a hay roof before the storm cloud came, while the mouse was cob webbing in their little corner; there was an owl in the tree either watching the weird man washing or the other animal that living in the hay roof. I was a crazy puzzle which I happened to keep until the age of 24 but being the nice aunt that I am decided to past it on to my niece. Well that was the end of that puzzle and a lesson well learned for me.

Moving on to my of fun childhood toys, there was the big ass doll, I don’t know where they got it from but she was the talk of my tongue. Funny enough I don’t call if I ever name her but she came with the hair comb that I loved and would nag my mother to comb my hair the same way. I threw a fit if she wasn’t where I left or anyone touched her, she came with a lily white frill dress with a yellow satin ribbon J. Then came the time when we had to part, year after year they try to convince me but it never worked I think she was too big to go missing. It was only around my pre-teen they took a stand and said she had to go and I was too big to be playing with dolls. Sad moments there L.  

Good times, good times, then there were my marble collection, the faithful ones that you could never lose with that took you through you hard times.  Oh and there was the “big uncey” that you would gamble almost all of you marbles just to get one, while the snake eye was some of us prize processions. If you had lost all your marbles you would beg a friend for one to win back yours or pray it fell out the winners’ pocket while they were running. Good old pitch as we play three man hole in the dirt. The hole was made with your finger and spite if you didn’t have water nearby or the water was taking too long to come.

The good ole toys that shaped me, of course you can’t for the toys that you would always get in trouble for, the noise makes.  The balls, the various types of water toys, those that would always make the knocking sound or end up in the neighbor’s yard. How I could I forget the toys that dirty the carpet and the walls. Why? Here is the thing, they send you to Sunday School and Vacation bible school where you learned to make some cool crafts but when you got home you can make it or practice making it. What the sense? Basically we had to make sure we finish our crafts before coming home. I remember one time when I made a basket out of the empty toilet paper role, but I never used it in public only to store things at home. As me now if I can make a single craft I certainly cannot.


What’s your childhood toy and craft memory?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avi7/

No comments:

Post a Comment