Saturday 18 October 2014

Great Aunt Dominga

http://youtu.be/-WZETjFaIx4


Little did I see of her growing up as a child as I would only hear stories so I believed she was just another myth. Sometimes I would think it was just us growing but the stories always kept coming though it wasn’t positive ones. I was still curious to know this other side of my family as the story intrigued me despite the negativity. There must have be some good in there somewhere as I needed to know. How? The first time I can recall meeting her I was amazed. I said to myself, “this is what the other side of the family looks like.” So many questions I wanted to ask, so many things I needed to learn but how? My mom would not permit me, basically I could only sit there and wonder. 

 
On the left Aunty Mano and on the right Aunty Minga

As I grew I was determine to learn but never figured out how as I remembered her occasional outburst in patois frightened me. When I would inquire where she lived no one never knew. As for daddy his promise to carry us for drives to know our entire family, well, I am still waiting for that to come through. 

It’s amazing the great history we lost as the gaps in our family tree are never past on or even taught.

What childhood memory do you cling too?  






No comments:

Post a Comment